If there’s some acronyms you don’t understand, who you gonna call? InStyle LED Blog! Now that very lame attempt at being funny is out of the way let’s take a look at some of the industry jargon and what the acronyms actually mean.
The lighting industry (like many other industries) has a lot of acronyms within it and if you do not know what they mean can become very confusing, so here is a list to help you make sense of it all, that is commonly used on the InStyle LED web site.
Making sense of the industries acronyms!
- LED: L.E.D. stands for Light Emitting Diode which is a type of electronic light source that requires less power to operate and last many times longer than traditional light sources.
- RGB: RGB stands for Red, Green and Blue, what this refers to is the three colours that are used on the colour changing LED strip lights. These LED’s work by blending these three different colours together to create many different colour variations.
- IR: IR stands for Infra Red, this a wave length of light that can be used to control devices remotely, but in order for this to work it needs a direct line of sight.
- DMX: DMX stands for Digital Multiplex, this is a type of control signal that is traditionally used for stage lighting.
- IP: IP stands for Ingress Protection, this is a rating system that is used to describe the level of protection that is offered to the electronic device.
- RF: RF stands for Radio Frequency, which is signal that is used by certain controllers and remotes, which does not need a direct line of sight to send its signal, so the receiver can be hidden away.
If there is anything else you would like to know or want advice on a project you are currently or about to undertake, please give our friendly staff a call and we will help you with any questions you might have.