What is LED tape?
Each metre of LED tape has dozens of light-emitting diodes mounted serially (in a line). When lit, a well-designed LED installation will give any location or surface a smooth, gorgeous glow.
InStyle are a leading UK supplier of LEDs, so you can order your strip lights from us with confidence. We specialise in LED strip lights and other LED products, and we manufacture everything to commercial-grade as standard. That sets us apart from non-specialist sellers of cheap LED strips (like eBay and Amazon). It means all of our LED products run at low wattage, with a lifespan of 10 years or even more. So you get low running costs, with virtually no need for maintenance.
We supply strip lighting in standard reels, or we’ll even cut your light tape to the exact custom-made lengths that you need!
Even better, InStyle offers great technical support and installation tips for all your LED projects. Why not check out the how-to guides on our support page, or simply give us a call. You’ll get lots of useful advice, as well as the answers to many of your LED lighting questions.
LED strips are perfect for signage, restaurants, hotels, bars, LED tape for cars, and for your home. And you can get all of our strip lights in IP65 (splashproof) or fully waterproof versions, so they’re ideal for both inside and outside LED lights. We offer a wide variety of LED tape colours – from warm whites to pure white, and red, green, amber or blue LED light strips. Or choose our RGB or RGBW (colour changing) LED strip lights, which will let you mix any shade you want when linked with a controller.
LED strip lights are very easy to install, because they’re supplied with 3M self-adhesive under a protective backing. Simply peel and stick!
A wide range of LED tape projects
You can use flexible LED tape almost anywhere. LEDs have a wide variety of applications from commercial applications to domestic – from hotels, clubs, bars, restaurants to kitchen LED strip lights and bathroom LED lights in the home. They’re great for covings, plinths, signage,’working light’ and more. And if you’re looking for a simple way to install lights under your kitchen cabinets or install cupboard lights (which can often be too small and too difficult to access for other types of lighting), then LED tape is the best solution.
We supply outside LED lights too.
Here is a video showing you just a handful of installations using InStyle’s LED strip lights.
How long are InStyle’s LED tape reels?
Our LED strip lights are manufactured in 5-metre reels as standard. However, you can also order your LED tapes pre-cut to the exact lengths you require.
So if you only require 1.75 metres, for example, you can buy LED strip lights of exactly that length rather than wasting 3.25 metres of a standard 5-metre reel.
Note that cut-point spacing varies for different LED tape products. Depending on the type of LED tape you choose, cut-points are positioned at 25mm, 50mm, 100mm, or 166mm intervals. See the specifications on each product’s webpage for details.
Generally, we do not supply our LED strips in runs longer than 6.5m. This is because such lengths would result in a voltage-drop towards their end (because the LED tape’s PCBs will not maintain a constant current over that length). In other words, your LED tape would appear less bright towards the end of any strip more than 6.5 metres long.
For a guide to installing LED strips in lengths longer than 5 metres, see our support page on how to install large projects.
How wide are LED tapes?
InStyle’s LED strip lights are mounted on a variety of high-quality PCBs (printed circuit boards), in order to provide the LEDs with the right heat dispersal for their power and brightness.
Our narrowest LED tape PCBs are 8mm wide by 3mm in depth. Our widest PCBs are 12mm wide and 3mm deep.
How do I fit my LED strip lights into position?
All of InStyle’s LED tape light products are supplied with a strip of 3M self-adhesive backing. Peel off the backing’s protective layer and you can quickly and easily fit your LED strips into place.
Follow these simple steps:
- Begin by cleaning the surface.
- Once the surface is clean, wipe it down so it is completely dry.
- Then peel off the 3M self-adhesive backing’s protective cover, and push into place. Try to avoid pressing on the resistors with your fingers.
If you are fitting waterproof LED tape, you’ll find that InStyle’s IP-rated waterproof strip light products have exactly the same 3M self-adhesive backing. In most circumstances, this will be enough to hold the LED tape in place. However we do offer additional screw-in fixing clips that will keep your LEDs in position even more securely. (These clips can be very useful when installing exterior LED strip lights, or LED strips in other locations where moisture may be an issue.)
For more installation tips, please see here. Or why not see our support section for advice on the best way to position your LED strips for plinth lighting, drop ceilings, coving and under-cabinet working lights.
Can I cut LED strip lights myself?
Yes you can. Simply use a pair of scissors to cut your LED strip lights at the printed cut points. Do make sure that the power is disconnected before you cut!
Cut points are spaced at 25mm / 50mm / 100mm / 166mm intervals, depending on which type of LED strip you are using. You can tell where your LED strip lighting cut points are by the lines on the tape’s PCB, which you’ll find between the solder pads. (Single-colour LED tapes have 4 solder pads, RGB tapes have 8 pads, and RGBW tapes have 10 pads.)
Once you’ve made your cut, you don’t need to do anything else. (There is no need to terminate the PCB circuit.)
(N.B. Note that if you cut waterproof LED strip lights, you’ll compromise the light tape’s heatshrink seal. For outside LED lights, you’ll need to reseal the end with a glue-gun. Or why not ask us to pre-cut your waterproof LED strip lights to the length you need when you order – and we’ll handle all the heatshrinking and glued ends for you.)
Can I connect lengths of LED tape light together without soldering?
For our standard (non-waterproof) LED strip lights, we offer three types of clip-on connectors.
- The first is a tape-to-tape connector, which is used to join lengths of LED strip together without the need for soldering.
- The second connector that we offer is a flexible-link connector. If you are installing LED tape around corners or need to avoid other obstructions, flexible-link connectors are ideal.
- Lastly, we offer a tape-to-starter-lead connector. This connector clips onto the cut end of an LED strip light, to give an easily extendable starter-lead cable that you can connect to your transformer or controller.
Clip-on connectors are not suitable if you are using either an IP65 LED strip (splashproof) or IP67 (waterproof) LED strip for your outside LED lights. (This is because they will pierce the strip’s heatshrink coating.)
What LED tape light colours are available?
LED strip lights are available in a range of colours. Choose from red, green, blue, amber, warm white or pure white, RGB / RGBW colour-changing LED strip lighting, or specialised LED tapes for specific projects/applications (including UV LEDs and dual-white CCT LEDs that can mix a range of white-light shades).
Some colours are only manufactured in limited wattages (brightness). Please see the product links at the top of this page for more details.
White-light LEDs are produced in a choice of standard colour shades or tones. The shade of white is measured by the colour temperature scale, rated in Kelvins (K). Lower Kelvin values produce a warmer light, and higher Kelvin values produce a cooler light.
InStyle always carries a variety of white shades in stock. And if your project needs a non-standard colour, then we can probably manufacture it for you.
What’s the difference between 3528 SMDs & 5050 SMDs (the diodes used on LED light tape)?
You have probably come across the terms 3528 SMD and 5050 SMD in discussions of LED strip lights. That’s because they are the two types of LED chips most commonly used in LED lighting. One type of SMD (surface mounted diode) isn’t better than another; the right LED depends on the application.
- LED strips designated ‘3528’ are so-called because their diodes are 3.5mm x 2.8mm; in the same way, 5050 SMDs are 5mm x 5mm in size.
- 3528 SMD LED strip lights are less bright than 5050 SMDs – which are about 3x brighter and pull 3x more power.
Our 3528 LED tape SMDs are typically used for feature lighting in coving or plinths (both inside and outside LED lights). Our LED lighting strips with 5050 SMDs are typically installed in locations where brighter, stronger light is needed – such as kitchen LED strip lighting under cabinets, or ‘working light’.
Is LED strip lighting dimmable?
Yes, there are several methods you can use to dim any product in our flexible LED strip light range.
- Most simply, you can dim your LEDs by using a mains-dimmable transformer (TRIAC). This can be controlled using a standard household rotary dimmer switch (see the full range here).
- Alternatively you can order one of our high-powered receivers when you buy LED lights. These include 0-10v, DMX and DALI units. All of our LED tape light dimmers are commercial grade products, offering smooth 0-100% dimming. And they also work with leading-brand control systems.
How bright should my LED strip lighting be?
LED strip lights are available in a choice of wattages. Each gives a different level of light output, to suit your project’s needs.
The wattage of light tape is measured by the metre. So when buying your LED strip lights, you should always compare by calculating total lumens (lumen output per metre, multiplied by the number of metres) and total wattage (wattage per metre, multiplied by the number of metres). Don’t simply compare the number of diodes on each metre of LED tape!
You’ll find that available LED tape wattages range from 5W per metre to 24W per metre.
LED tape brightness by wattage
- Our 5-watt LED tape lights are our best-selling product. Just because they draw the lowest wattage in our range doesn’t mean they are not powerful. On the contrary, these LED strip lights are very bright compared to other LED lighting. 5W LED tapes are ideal for feature lighting – great for highlighting areas such as covings, TVs and media panels, bathroom mirrors, kitchen LED strip lights, outside LED lights etc.
- 10-watt LED tape lights are very suitable for feature lighting, especially in locations with a lot of ambient light (daylight). 10W LED tapes are also perfect for highlighting areas, for creating halo effects, and for signage etc.
- The 12W and 20W per metre versions are ideal for LED tape ‘working light’. They’re perfect for areas with a lot of ambient light (such as outside LED lights). Our 12W LED strip lights and 20W LED strip lights are fantastic for lighting locations such as front bars, back bars, or desk fronts, and can be used to provide ‘working light’ under kitchen cabinets etc. We can also supply you with an optic extrusion so your LED strip light can ‘throw the light further’. When combined with 12W / 20W LED tapes, this will create a good wall-washer effect – perfect for exterior LED strip lights.
- 24-watt LED tape is more than 6 times brighter than standard 5W per metre LED tape. So it’s a great choice for full-strength general lighting or as ‘working light’. 24W LED tape also makes a good replacement for fluorescent tubes. Or why not use it in applications such as under-cabinet lighting, signage, bars, restaurants and more?
Are LED strip lights easy to fit?
Yes, LED strip lights are very easy to install. At InStyle, we offer a cutting and soldering service when you place your order, so we can supply your LED strips pre-cut to the exact lengths you require. And if you need them, we’ll even solder in link-cables to go round corners, and starter-leads that connect to your transformer.
You can wire more than one LED tape length back to a single transformer. To do this, simply connect two cables together by using a screw-in connector block (available from any electrical wholesaler).
How flexible are LED strip lights?
LED light tape is very flexible indeed. This means it’s ideal for use in a wide variety of applications – including signage.
Our waterproof LED strip lights are just as flexible. Even with heatshrink sealing, they can be easily bent and twisted to the shapes you need.
What does ‘colour-changing’ LED tape mean?
Some people assume that colour-changing LED strip lights can do nothing but change colours constantly. This isn’t true at all.
Each diode of your colour-changing LED strip lighting has three separate light-emitting chips housed inside it – red, green and blue LED lights. By mixing these primary colours, you’ll be able to set and re-set your LEDs to produce any shade of light, any time you want.
How you’ll control your LED strip lighting will depend on the type of LED controller you’ve installed. However, every one of InStyle’s LED tape controllers offer full colour-changing, and also lets you choose a static colour (or colours) option for your LED strip lights. So they will stay on one setting until you change them again.
Do you supply a waterproof version of your flexible LED strip lights?
Yes we do. Our LED tapes are available in three versions: a standard non-waterproof type, an IP65 LED strip light (coated) and also an IP67 waterproof LED strip light.
- IP65-rated LED lighting strips have a heatshrink coating that offers clear advantages over older resin coatings. It won’t discolour over time or go brittle in the cold, and it is very easy to cut and solder.
- For our IP67 version we use the same heatshrink coating. In addition, we fully glue-seal the ends of the LED strip as well.
An IP67 rating indicates that your LED lighting strip is waterproof. This means it’s perfect for applications that require protection from moisture – for example, waterproof LED strip lights in the kitchen, bathroom LED lights etc. And IP67 strips can also be fitted outdoors, which makes them ideal for signage.
Please note that you should not fit waterproof LED strip lights in any location where they will be permanently submerged. (Outside LED lights in a pond, for example.)
Do you supply LED tape lighting extrusions (aka profiles)?
Yes we do. We have a wide range of aluminium extrusions (LED profiles) in stock. So you can use extrusions to improve the look of your LED tape, when you buy strip lights from InStyle. Extrusions also provide extra protection for outside LED lights.
Any of our LED strips can be mounted in our LED strip light extrusions. Our extrusion range includes everything from corner LED profiles, to frosted extrusions that diffuse the light from LED strips, to optic lens extrusions that will throw the LEDs’ light further.
Our LED extrusions are available in 1m and 2m lengths. You can cut them to length simply, using a hacksaw. For more about our LED strip lighting extrusion range see here.
Are there different grades of LED strip lights?
Manufacturers make LEDs to many different grades and specifications. Here at InStyle, we mainly supply commercial-grade LED strip lights. This is because these products are built to last, highly reliable, colour consistent and the brightest LEDs on the market.
You can, of course, also buy cheap LED lights from us, that are manufactured to a domestic grade. The exhibition and display market is the main user of these lower quality LED strip lights. This is because exhibitors often require cheap LED lights as a short-term throwaway product.
See our detailed explanation of the benefits of commercial-grade LED strip lighting here.
Do you offer a warranty on your LED strip lights?
Yes we do. InStyle’s LED strip lighting, like all of our other products, is supplied with a 2-year warranty.
For more details, see our warranty support page.
How long will delivery of my LED strip lights take?
All of our LED tape products are in stock and ready for next-day delivery. Depending on the time your order is placed, delivery may sometimes take slightly longer. And the amount of cutting and soldering your LED lighting strips require may also affect your delivery date. Our sales reps can tell you when your delivery will arrive, so please ask when you buy your LED lights or any other products.
Have reputable brands used your LED strip lighting products?
Yes, they certainly have! InStyle has been a leading UK manufacturer / supplier of LED strip lights and other lighting products for more than 10 years. In that time, we have built a reputation for quality and reliability.
That’s why so many customers buy LED tape lights from us regularly. Including big-name premium brands: