LED strip light or LED wall washer light – what is the difference and which product should I choose?
Check out our new vlog above.
These two products both look like they do the same job. Which one is right for your project and why?
Well they look like they create the same effect – both shining out white or RGBW colours onto a surface. But LED strip lights and wall washers are used for completely different tasks!
LED strip lights – what are they, and when/where/why should they be used?
LED strip lights are mostly used for highlighting areas to give a feature glow. They can be bright enough for working light.
- Maximum power is ~25 watts p/m.
- They can be made in runs of any length up to 5m, and have cut points at intervals as small as 25mm.
- A flexible product that can be supplied/stored on a reel.
- They output a non-adjustable 120-degree wide beam angle.
- Very small and thin product that can be used anywhere.
- Not enough power to wash walls completely, or to be used externally on the sides of buildings to create large-area light washes.
- Maximum light beam is 1m, but areas with low ambient lighting, the beam can reach to around 3 metres.
- Can be used in residential homes / clubs / bars / homes / restaurants.
- Usually used as a feature highlighting product, to supplement main lighting.
LED wall washers – what are they, and when/where/why should they be used?
- Available in fixed lengths of 0.5m or 1m.
- Maximum of ~96w p/m.
- The extra brightness means these units can create complete washes of light, powerful enough to wash walls top to bottom (up to 5m and more, depending on ambient lighting).
- Ideal for washing external walls / buildings of 5m height or more.
- Various lens options are available – to create a tight wash, at tighter angles such as 45°.
- Larger products, so not as easy to hide.
- Far too big and bright to be used in residential properties or anywhere such as covings etc.
- Ideal for hotels / clubs / bars / restaurants to create complete wash lighting, or a major feature-light effect.
- Can be used as working light.
Why InStyle LED?
We stock all of our LED tapes for next day delivery.
You can provide us with any sketches / plans and we can advise on the most cost effective way for wiring / controlling.
We can speak to any installers, before, during and after your project to answer any questions.
Please call us today on 0116 2799083 or email [email protected]