At InStyle LED, we can cut and solder your LED strip lights to your requirements. Just let us know the lengths you need when you place your order, and we’ll do the rest.
But if you prefer to cut your strip lights yourself, you can make any connections you need without the need for soldering, by using our easy-clip connectors. These connectors are an invaluable aid for simple and straightforward installations.
These connectors are used to attach two lengths of LED tape together.
To use them, start by opening up the fold-over clips. Then slide the first LED strip into the open clip, so the metal tongs are in contact with the copper pads. Do the same on the other side with the second LED strip, making sure the positive and negative pads are lined up with each other. Once this is done, click the clip closed again.
You have now extended your LED tape, and both ends will light up when powered.
With these connectors, you can attach a transformer starter-lead cable to your LED strip lights without the need for soldering.
To do this, you’ll follow a very similar process to the tape-to-tape connectors above: start by opening the clips and slide in the LED strip, making sure its copper pads are touching the metal tongs. Make sure the positive and negative wires correspond correctly (‘red’ to ‘+’ and ‘black’ to ‘-‘). This connector is supplied with the starter-lead already attached, so there is nothing else to connect – which means that when the tape is in place, you can re-close the clips and you’re ready to wire your LED strip lights to a transformer and power on.
These flexible connectors will link together two lengths of LED strip lighting. They are an essential accessory when your LED strips needs to bend around corners (45 degrees or greater) or other obstructions.
Using them is again a similar process to the one described above: open the clips and insert the two LED strips into either side, so the copper pads are in contact with the tongs, then reseal the clips. Be sure to check that the positive and negative cables are connected correctly – ‘red’ to ‘+’ and ‘black’ to ‘-‘.
Once your LED tape is powered up, it’s ready to illuminate.
Soldering Links vs. Solderless Connectors
For permanent installations and lighting that’s used all the time, InStyle strongly recommend soldered connections over solderless clips. But for short-term installations, exhibitions and more ad-hoc projects, solderless connections are ideal.
- InStyle will pre-cut and solder LED tapes and links for next day delivery – saving you time during installation
- We can solder in links of bespoke sizes (small links for tight corners, for example, or a long 3-metre link to go round a cooker)
- Very neat finish
- Links can be fully heatshrink-coated for IP67-rated protection
- Links are long-lasting, low maintenance, very reliable (solderless connectors can come loose)
- InStyle always take account of the appropriate maximum LED tape run when soldering, in order to avoid voltage drop
- Soldered LED tapes can be fitted into all standard aluminium extrusions (solderless connectors cannot)
- LED tapes don’t need to be pre-cut, so you can adjust the strip lengths on site if you do not know the measurements up-front
- There are 3 types of solderless LED tape connector, to cover all situations