InStyle’s LED tape offers you more flexibility than other forms of lighting. You can fit it to curved surfaces, twist it and even loop it back on itself. (After all, it’s supplied on reels!)
So bending your LED strip lights for installation on a curved surface is very straightforward. But what if your projects needs its LED tape to be bent flat (across the PCB’s edge), as in the picture below?
We don’t recommend bending your tape to more than 45 degrees across the PCB’s edge. (Take care not to damage the PCB mounting, and always make sure you bend the tape at a marked cut-point.)
If you need to bend your LED tape laterally to an angle greater that 45 degrees, then we suggest these alternative approaches:
- Bending white LED tapes laterally (across the edge of the PCB)
- Bending other LED tapes laterally
1. How to bend your white LED tapes laterally (across the edge of the PCB)
If your project requires white LED strips, why not use LED flex tape for the job? Unlike standard LED strips, our LED flex tape’s PCB mounting is cut in a unique zig-zag that means it can bend at extreme angles on a flat surface.
Designed with signage and display lighting in mind, this specialised type of LED tape is intended to make illuminating channel/moulded lettering, brand logos and other shapes a simple task.
InStyle’s white LED flex strips draw 12 watts per metre and are available in a choice of warm white or pure white shades (1200 / 1300 lumens per metre).
2. How to bend your other LED tapes laterally (across the edge of the PCB)
If your LED tape needs to bend at an angle greater than 45 degrees (for example, to go around a right-angle corner), then we do not recommend physically bending it. Instead, we suggest one of our tape connectors.
At InStyle LED, we offer a choice of options for flexible LED strip connectors:
- You can order your tape with flexible LED strip connectors already fitted. Tell us where you want your tape to bend, and we’ll cut and solder your flexible connector(s) before your order is dispatched – so it’s ready to use right out of the package.
- Or if you prefer to cut and fit flexible connectors yourself, we offer flexible LED tape corner-connectors that clip to join two lengths of tape, with no soldering required.
This video will tell you more about our clip-on tape connectors.
But what about my LED tape extrusions? Can they bend too?
Yes they can! Bendable aluminium LED tape extrusions are now available. You can order yours from InStyle LED today.